With the 4th of July this weekend, many Austinites will be boating on lakes in Central Texas. It’s important that those who will be on the water remember boating safety tips before accidents happen. Most boating crashes are preventable.
Every year, numerous boating accidents occur in Texas. In 2014, there were 167 boating accidents in the state, 119 of which resulted in injury and 39 in death, according to the U.S. Coast Guard’s Boating Safety Resource Center.
To keep your family safe and avoid traumatic injuries, here are some tips to remember:
- Take a safety course to learn the rules of boating and how to operate a boat safely.
- Do not drink alcohol. The probability of a boating accident doubles when alcohol is involved.
- Do not speed. Always drive your boat at a safe speed. Recklessness, inexperience, inattention and speed are the four leading causes of boating accidents.
- Keep an eye out for submerged objects and low-water areas.
- Check all personal flotation devices: Make sure they are in good shape and are sized properly for all passengers.
At the Law Offices of Aaron Allison, our Austin boat injury attorneys have represented boating enthusiasts who have found themselves seriously injured in a boating accident. We also represent family members who have lost loved ones due to fatal boating accidents or drowning. If you have been a victim of a boating accident, contact Aaron Allison today.
The Law Offices of Aaron Allison – Austin Injury Attorney