In April 2018, the Austin American-Statesman reported on a cyclist being hit by a motorist on two separate occasions. The cyclist sustained injuries but fully recovered. The incident happened in the Central area of Austin where bike lanes and other infrastructure protect cyclists. Although Texas Department of Transportation data shows that accidents between cyclists and motorists have decreased, such incidents occur frequently. It’s important as a cyclist to be aware of the proper procedures after an incident with a motorist.
What to Do After A Bicycle Accident With a Vehicle
It’s crucial to be aware of your surroundings after an incident involving a vehicle. It’s also important to ensure that you recover from injuries sustained to your person and bicycle as This will help you with a possibly favorable outcome of any legal action necessary after an accident.
Here’s some tips to follow:
- Call the police. Wait for the police to arrive to the accident scene so that they begin the police report. The police report is vital for any further actions taken like a personal injury lawsuit.
- Report your version of the events. Make sure to report a detailed account of the events to the police who are filing the report.
- Collect witness information. If you are able, write down the plate numbers, addresses and insurance information of any witnesses to the accident.
- Photograph your injuries. Seek medical attention even if your injuries are minor. Document the injuries by taking photographs of the initial injuries and by keeping a log of symptoms as they arise in the days following the accident.
- Preserve evidence. Leave damaged bike and other belongings in the condition they were in after the accident. Take photos of any damaged property. Your damaged property can be used in any legal proceedings.
- Seek Professional Legal Advice. It may be necessary to receive legal advice for how to proceed after the incident. An attorney can assist in negotiations with insurance companies or by helping you file a lawsuit.
Should I Contact a Bicycle Accident Attorney?
Austin personal injury lawyer Aaron Allison can answer any questions that you have about your legal rights after a bicycle accident. For future updates on driving and cycling safety in Austin, follow the Law Offices of Aaron Allison on Facebook and Twitter.